Monday, February 27, 2012

Psalm 42:5

Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me?  Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my help and my God.
Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul?  Why are you crying the blues?  Fix my eyes on God- soon I'll be praising again.  He puts a smile on my face.  He's my God.


I have asked myself these questions, listed all the reasons I shouldn't be depressed, even scolded myself to snap out of this.  It doesn't work.  Why?  Because I'm sick.  I have a disease.  While the thinking component is important in recovering from depression, that's not all there is.  I also need to exercise, take medicine, eat, sleep, and fix my eyes on God.  Don't let this verse sound like a scolding.  My soul is cast down and disquieted because I have an illness called depression.  I have the "hope of the hopeless," however, when I fix my eyes on God.

Lord, I want to be praising you again.  I want my praises for you to come naturally and spontaneously, from my joyful soul.  Keep my hope in you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment