Monday, February 6, 2012

Psalm 22:24

For he did not despise or abhor the affliction of the afflicted; he did not hide his face from me, but heard when I cried to him.
He has never let you down, never looked the other way when you were being kicked around.  He has never wandered off to do his own thing; he has been right there, listening.


Despise means "to regard as negligible, worthless, or distasteful."  Negligible means "...so unimportant or of so little consequence as to warrant little or no attention."  I would say that feeling negligible and worthless warrants a diagnosis of depression and much attention.  You may despise yourself and your illness, but your thoughts on this don't count here.  God does not despise you or your depression; he is with you, strengthening you and listening to you.   Answer your negative thoughts:  "God does not despise me or the depression.  He hears me when I cry to him."  And keep crying to him!

Lord, depression can make me despise myself.  Keep me focused on you and your love for me.  Open my heart to feel you right here, listening.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment