Sunday, March 25, 2012

Psalm 66:10

For you, O God, have tested us; you have tried us as silver is tried.
He trained us first, passed us like silver through refining fires.


How is silver tried?  Merriam-Webster defines try as “to melt down and procure in a pure state” and refine as “to free from impurities or unwanted material.”  I think of the lies of depression.  Depression exaggerates the impurities that have always been part of me.  I am forced to give some of them up, and learn how unnecessary and even harmful they are.  I am learning to discern God‘s voice from my own.  And don’t forget “he trained us first.“  I am not facing this illness unarmed.  I am armed with faith that God can use any trial for good.  Healing is bringing me closer to my pure state.

Lord, in depression I only see the fires as Hell.  Open my eyes to the way you use this illness to refine me, bringing me closer to my pure state:  your creation living life to your glory.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment