Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Psalm 54:4

But surely, God is my helper; the Lord is the upholder of my life. 
Oh, look!  God's right here helping!  God's on my side.  

Here, again, is confidence in the wisdom of seeking God.  When I seek God I see his presence in my life, upholding my life, helping.  One definition of uphold is "to support against an opponent."  Yes, God is with you supporting you against depression.  Think of the signs of God's presence in your life.  Give thanks for the people and circumstances that are helping you.  Be confident that any strength and healing you have experienced shows that God is supporting you against depression.  When depression tells you that God is not with you, answer that thought with this psalm.   

Lord, open my heart with confidence that these words are true in my life.  Fill me with thoughts of how you have upheld me during this depression.  Let the psalmist's confidence be my confidence.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment