Saturday, April 21, 2012

Psalm 82:8

Arise, O God, judge the earth; for to you belong all the nations!
O God, give them their just deserts!  You’ve got the whole world in your hands!


This psalm is a litany of the Lord’s judgment on pagan gods.  It’s interesting to me that the assumption isn’t that there are no other gods, but that our God is superior to them.  This is important because I could miss the whole point if I thought this only applied to the days of Canaanite gods.  I’ve been surprised to learn that I have lots of other gods in my life.  Not only the typical gods of financial security and success, but the gods of arrogance and the hunger for glory.  Those gods are worshiped through self-doubt and insecurity.  How can I discern God’s will when I’m worshiping those gods?   This is God’s world, not mine.  Any good that I do in this world is to God’s glory, not mine.

Lord, you are the one true God.  I shall have no other gods before you.  Guide me to your will.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment