Thursday, April 5, 2012

Psalm 71:5

For you, O Lord, are my hope, my trust, O Lord, from my youth.
You keep me going when times are tough- my bedrock, God, since my childhood.



I was baptized as a baby.  As a child I attended church, Sunday school, and parochial school.  The Holy Spirit was at work in me for years before I grew old enough to question the teachings of my faith.  In depression it can feel like God isn’t my hope.  Depression makes it easy to doubt if God exists.  That is what took me to the Psalms.  I knew the questions and doubt would be here along with the hope and the trust.  As a child I knew God was real and cared about me.  This Psalm gives me the chance to look back to that faith, to call back that faith to sustain me as an adult.  God has always kept me going when times were tough.  He will keep me going now.

Lord, I believed in you honestly and truly as a child.  Comfort me with those memories, and help me use them to hang on to my faith in this depression.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment