Thursday, April 19, 2012

Psalm 81:5b

I hear a voice I had not known:
I hear this most gentle whisper from One I never guessed would speak to me:


I have a book about discernment.  The book was disappointing for me, because I want discernment to be a burning bush telling me to go to Egypt: direct, unmistakable, and to the point.   Discernment is complicated for me because I think I’m called to do everything.  I’ve always thought God had called me to work, take care of my family, volunteer, learn, solve all problems, and cure all diseases.  I was listening to my bloated self-expectations as if they were calls from God.  I took on too much and it all came crashing down with the depression.   It’s time to sift through my talents, interests, and joys to discern God’s gentle whisper.

Lord, teach me to hear your call.  Let me use this illness as the opportunity to tune in to your will for me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment