Friday, April 13, 2012

Psalm 78:23

Yet he commanded the skies above, and opened the doors of heaven;
But God helped them anyway, commanded the clouds and gave orders that opened the gates of heaven.


This psalm is a prayer for deliverance from natural enemies and the verse before this explains that God’s people did not have faith and trust in God.  But God helped them anyway.  I don’t have to earn God’s help.  I don’t have to pass the test, strengthen my weaknesses, correct my flaws, or snap out of it.  I don’t even have to have faith and trust in God.  God helps me anyway.  What a relief!  The faith and trust I muster please God because he wants me to turn to him, but it’s not a test.  I can question and doubt and threaten.  I can wallow or fight or rest.  I can beg and plead and moan.  I don’t have to worry about getting this right.  God helps me anyway.

Lord, this verse is so powerful when I feel so powerless.  Help me anyway.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment