Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Psalm 79:1

O God, the heathen have come into your inheritance; they have defiled the holy temple; they have laid Jerusalem in ruins.
God!  Barbarians have broken into your home, violated your temple, left Jerusalem a pile of rubble!


Depression is a tricky illness.  It’s not your fault, but it is your fault.  Genetic tendencies, learned ways of thinking, physical traumas, and life circumstances all contribute to it.  The bad news is I unknowingly contributed to my illness; the good news is that by learning new ways of thinking and making other changes I can contribute to my healing.  The problem is that they can both sound like bad news.  This verse helps me recognize the aspects that are beyond my control.  I never expected this and did not knowingly walk into it.  Depression has defiled this holy temple and left me in ruins.  That’s a fact regardless of where the fault lies. 

Lord, I am in ruins.  Guide my thoughts and actions so that I can rebuild and live the life you intended for me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment