Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Psalm 4:2

O men, how long shall my honor suffer shame?  How long will you love vain words, and seek after lies?
You rabble - how long do I put up with your scorn?  How long will you lust after lies?  How long will you live crazed by illusion?
    To me, this verse defines depression:  shame, lies, illusion.  You may be blaming yourself or telling yourself that those you love would be better off without you.  These are lies and believing them makes us ashamed.  Depression is an insidious disease that fills your mind with lies and illusions.  When you think these thoughts, tell yourself out loud, "It's a lie."  Tell yourself you will not accept these lies anymore.  Seek the truth:  this illness is not your fault and those you love need you.  You will be well again. 

    Lord, my shame and my thoughts feel so true.  Give me the strength to recognize the shame and the thoughts for what they are:  lies and illusion.  Fill me with thoughts that are true and the peace of knowing that my disease can be healed.  Amen.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment