Monday, January 30, 2012

Psalm 15:1

O Lord, who may abide in your tent?  Who may dwell on your holy hill?
God, who gets invited to dinner at your place?  How do we get on your guest list?



The rest of this psalm is a list in answer to these questions.  Only a perfect person could live up to this list.  My talk therapist is against the word "should," and suggests that I expect perfection from myself.  Perfectionism is another lie of depression.  You do not need to be perfect to live with joy.  You know it's not even possible, but are you still expecting it of yourself?  Are you punishing yourself by dwelling on what you should have done or worrying about what you should be doing?  God is inviting you to dinner at his place; you are forgiven for your imperfections and loved for being his unique creation. 

Lord, I expect perfection from myself; I see life as a series of rewards and punishments.  Lead me to accepting and appreciating myself as you do:  your unique creation.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment