Saturday, January 28, 2012

Psalm 13:1

How long, O Lord?  Will you forget me forever?  How long will you hide your face from me?
Long enough, God- you've ignored me long enough.  I've looked at the back of your head long enough.  Long enough.


I tried to tell myself there is no God.  Maybe because of the depression, I rejected that notion in favor of telling myself that God is ignoring me or punishing me.  These are lies depression tells, but is that how we believe God works?  No, God is with you.  Every evening, at the suggestion of my friend, I write down the good things that happened that day.  "I walked."  "I ate."  "I laughed."  God has not forgotten you.  God is not ignoring you.  He is here, shining his face on you through the pain of depression.  Write down the good things and thank God for them.

Lord, this disease makes me think everything is hopeless and that you are ignoring me.  Lead me to recognize the good parts of each day and thank you for them.  Help me fight this disease with thoughts of gratitude.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment