Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Psalm 87:6

The Lord records as he registers the peoples, “This one was born [in Zion].
God registers their names in his book:  “This one, this one, and this one- born again, right here."


My study Bible says of this verse, “As God keeps the census records of the world, he notes with special pleasure the citizens of Zion.”  For some reason this makes me think of the old joke about being surprised about who we see in heaven!  But I shouldn’t be surprised to be recorded as a citizen of Zion.  Psalm 86:15 tells us that God is “merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.”  This is not a god who angrily scratches out a name at the first sin.  God is pleased to write down my name and he is pleased to see me grow in mercy and grace, steadfast love and faithfulness.

Lord, let the mercy and grace you show me develop into mercy and grace I show myself and others.  Let my life show that I was born in Zion.   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment