Saturday, May 19, 2012

Psalm 100:5

For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures for ever and his faithfulness to all generations.
For God is sheer beauty, all-generous love, loyal always and ever.


It is comforting in depression to remind myself that my depressed state is not all there is to me.  I have not always felt like this and I will not always feel like this.  But God is not like me.  This verse reminds me that God is the same always.  I began these psalms because I wanted to see if my faith would withstand the hopelessness of depression.  It has.  My trust in God has not always been good, steadfast, and faithful, but it has survived.  In depression I desperately assumed this verse to be true; in health I joyfully avow this verse to be true.  The grace and mercy from my good, steadfast, and faithful God have preserved my soul through depression.  It is right to pray this psalm of thanksgiving.

Lord, you are good, steadfast, and faithful.  Teach me to cling to you always, that my trust in you may be good, steadfast, and faithful.  Thank-you for the ability to joyfully pray psalms of thanksgiving.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment