Friday, May 18, 2012

Psalm 98:1

O sing to the Lord a new song, for he has done marvelous things!
Sing to God a brand-new song.  He’s made a world of wonders!


When I first started these devotions I thought I would be unable to write a devotion on a praise psalm. I knew the  psalms would express my depression in words.  But even these psalms of despair convinced me that my depression was clinical, an illness.  I would say, “I have a good life.  Why do I feel this way?”  In terms of treatment, answering the why is important because depression can be an illness or it can be a response to a difficult life situation.  In terms of justifying depression, this question is a dead end.  The praise psalms help me throw out the why question.  They remind me that God is God.  Period.

Lord, I am, in sickness or health, only a human being.  Let me be comforted by reading the psalms that praise you.  Let them remind me that you are God.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment