Monday, May 7, 2012

Psalm 90:12

So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.
Oh!  Teach us to live well!  Teach us to live wisely and well!


When I see these words, especially the second translation, I can easily think in the context of modern life.  Living well means having money, and living wisely means never making mistakes.  It reminds me of my husband singing Janis Joplin:  “Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz.“  So then I begin again, and think of the good life and wisdom God wants for me.  A good life is based on the contentment that flows from praising God.  Wisdom is knowing what’s important:  caring for God’s people.  God is only interested in today, and, with a heart of wisdom, I am only interested in today.

Lord, depression fills my mind with the regrets of yesterday and the worries of tomorrow.  Teach me the wisdom of living each day in praise and service to you.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment