Thursday, May 3, 2012

Psalm 88:3

For my soul is full of troubles, and my life draws near to Sheol.
I’ve had my fill of trouble; I’m camped on the edge of hell.


My study Bible calls this psalm a desperate prayer for healing in sickness. I bet I’ve written about this before, but when I first realized that a week of rest wasn’t going to cure me, I was really shocked.  As the weeks passed, I became desperate.  I remember lying on the floor in utter desolation and this definition crossed my mind:  hell is the absence of God. Yet there was a place in my heart that remembered God‘s mercy and faithfulness and kept believing in God’s presence.   I thank God that I can pray this desperate prayer, and still God works through a tiny place in my heart.

Lord, you are with me even when I’m camping on the edge of hell.  Thank-you for that place in my heart that  remembered your mercy and faithfulness.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment