Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Psalm 92:1

It is good to give thanks to the Lord, to sing praises to your name, O Most High;
What a beautiful thing, God, to give thanks, to sing an anthem to you, the High God!


Singing praises to God while suffering depression is just like doing any activity:  I make myself.  I make myself brush my teeth and get dressed.  I make myself eat and take a walk.  I make myself give thanks and sing praises to the Lord.  How?  I read the psalms.  I read the liturgies and hymns in the hymnal.  I listen to music.  I make lists of the blessings in my life.  I am not depressed because everything in my life is bad and I have no blessings.  I am depressed because I’m sick.  God is with me, delivering me from depression, and I praise him as best as I am able.

Lord, I’m not alone in praising you.  Let me depend on all the people who have written praises to you, giving thanks with their words until I find my own words again.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment